- Beat the egg, vanilla and nut butter together until well combined
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well
- Place large dessert spoons onto a cookie tray
- Baking in the oven for 20 minutes until browned on top and gently firm to touch
- Remove from oven and leave to cool
- Place cocoa butter, cocoa powder, almond butter, coconut oil and vanilla in a saucepan over a gentle heat and melt, stirring all the time.
- Add the honey and stir.
- Take off the heat and add the oats, nuts, almond flour and desiccated coconut.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Scoop spoonfuls onto the baking paper.
- Flatten them slightly.
- Put the tray in the fridge for 2 – 3 hours to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
With the coconut oil, they do melt at lower temperatures to store bought chocolate, so do keep that in mind as you share them out.
© Whisked Lemon 2016
Recently I had a kiwifruit after eating the other two straight, coupled with a cookie craving. A quick internet search later and here I was The Antidote Life – Kiwifruit Shortbread. I made a small modification, by using date syrup instead of honey because I was out of honey, and I used the whole Kiwifruit rather than half because, well why not? They have quite the coconut hit, of course, with coconut flour, but the kiwifruit is a good balance to that. It’s a recipe I will keep in mind whenever I have some spare kiwifruit or a shortbread desire.