I was just looking for something a little more interesting than plain steak and remembered this from when I was a kid. It’s easy but is a bit of effort.
1/2 onion, chopped
Pinch of powdered garlic
1 relatively thin steak
Salt and pepper
handful fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan-assisted).
- Fry the onions in a frying pan on medium heat with the garlic and a bit of olive oil until they are soft. It takes up to 5 minutes.
- Lay the steak on a board and pound flat with a mallet.
- Season with salt and upper on both sides.
- Spread the onions over the steak.
- Follow this by laying the spinach on top.
- Roll the steak from the short end.
- Insert 3 toothpicks at intervals to keep steak together
- Cut the steak into slices – this needs a well-sharpened knife.
- Brown in the frying pan on each side by frying on a medium heat for 1 minute each side.
- Place into a baking tray, and bake in the oven at 180ºC (fan-assisted) for 15 minutes.
- Take out and leave to stand for 3 minutes.
Serve with salad.