I was looking for a way to use up the cooked beetroot in the fridge and came across this recipe (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/778659/beetroot-meatballs-) which I modified. To complete the comfort food I had gluten-free pasta (shop bought because I don’t know how to make normal pasta, never mind gluten-free). Having used beetroot in chocolate fudge cakes before, it had never occurred to me to put it into meatballs – it works!
400g beef mince
2 beetroots, cooked, grated
50g almond flour
garlic (fresh or dried)
2 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 400g can chopped tomato
1. Put the beef mince, grated beetroot, almond flour, mixed herbs and garlic in a bowl. Mix well with your hands.
2. Form into small balls – roll them so they are tightly formed.
3. Put the cornflour on a plate and roll the meatballs in the cornflour.
4. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and brown the meatballs for 2 – 3 minutes. Take them out the pan to a plate and set aside.
5. Add the chopped tomato and a little water if desired to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the meatballs – carefully so they don’t splash tomato sauce everywhere. That’s a nightmare for cleaning up.
6. Put on a lid and let simmer for 30min for small meatballs but for bigger ones, cook longer.
7. Serve either by itself or with some gluten-free pasta or a vegetable mash.