Coming out of the Christmas holiday indulgence, I wanted some nice wholesome foods with a warm, winter comfort food feel. I’ve been thinking about other ways besides cornflour to thicken sauces. Which brought me to milled flaxseed to thicken my Bolognese sauce for courgettes with Bolognese. Two dessert spoons into the mixture and letting it slowly cook up, and there is a lovely sauce at the end. I should have used slightly less water but the recipe is modified here below to the right amount:
Oil/coconut oil/cocoa butter
1 x 410g can of chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons of milled flaxseed
250ml beef stock
2 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
Black pepper, salt, garlic and mixed herbs to taste
3 courgettes, spiralised or grated or sliced julienneMethod:
- Fry onion in a little oil or coconut or cocoa butter.
- Add mince and fry until turning brown.
- Add remaining ingredients except the courgettes. Stir.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat.
- Microwave courgette for 30 seconds. They can also be steamed if preferred.
- Serve together.