I tried my first ever pot roast recently. I suppose I never really thought about it but suddenly had the urge to try it. Turns out, I really like a pot roast so this may become a regular. This time was with red cabbage. Next time I’m thinking green beans and carrots with vegetable stock – coming soon!
1/2 tablespoon coconut butter
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1/2 small red cabbage, shredded
20g raisins (optional)
70ml balsamic vinegar
500g (approximately) roast joint
olive or other oil
Mixed herbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Add the coconut butter to a casserole dish that can go on the stove and in the oven and has a lid. Using medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onions and fry for 3 minutes until they are softening.
- Add the cabbage, raisins, vinegar and water and stir.
- Lower the heat and let cook over the lower heat while preparing the beef.
- Rub the beef with oil, herbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Turn off the heat under the casserole dish and place the beef roast on top of the cabbage.
- Cover with the lid and put in the oven. Turn on the temperature to 170ºC (fan-assisted) and leave to roast for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Take out the oven and test the meat is tender. Let it stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with mashed vegetables to soak up some of the gravy.