While the combination might sound a little strange, it did to me at first, I found that I really love it. This is now one of my favourite soups. Give it a try and see what you think.
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 shallot (or very small onion)
250g asparagus spears
1 small potato
a handful of spinach, fresh
500ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste (white pepper will also work if you prefer white)
- Zest and juice the lemon and put the zest in a medium saucepan. I use a strip zester rather than the grater-zester, both work fine.
- Chop the shallot – this doesn’t have to be too fine as the soup will be pureed.
- Add the chopped shallot and olive oil to the saucepan. Heat on medium heat and fry for 2-4 minutes until the shallot is softening.
- Chop the spears (keeping one or two for decoration if desired) and add. Keep stirring regularly.
- Peel and cube the potato, add to the saucepan. Keep stirring regularly.
- Add vegetable stock, lemon juice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and puree with a hand blender.
- Serve, decorated with asparagus stalks (if desired).
© Whisked Lemon 2016