Sometimes a salad is a great dinner after a busy day, I find. Green and fresh with protein and good fats to satisfy. I tend to cook up 2 chicken breasts and use a while lemon for zest And have cold chicken the next day. I freeze the lemon juice and use it for cakes or added juice when making lemon curd or lemon jam.
1 chicken breast
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Fresh ground black pepper
Garlic (fresh or powder)
Mixed herbs (optional)
Romaine lettuce – 4-5 leaves depending on size
Baby leaf spinach
1-2 tomatoes depending on size and preference
1 slice strong cheddar (optional)
Balsamic vinegar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
My preference is to do the salad first except the avocado, cook the chicken and them do the avocado and finish off. If you like your chicken cooler when you eat it, cook the chicken then do the salad.
1. Wash the lettuce, spinach and tomato.
2. Slice all 3 and add the cheese.
3. Layer on the plate.
4. Zest the lemon.
5. Chop the chicken into small pieces.
6. Heat olive oil in a frying pan – medium heat.
7. Add the chicken and lemon zest.
8. Grind black pepper over and add garlic (crushed if fresh). Add the mixed herbs if using.
9. Fry until golden brown – approximately 7 minutes.
10. Turn off the heat.
11. Peel, destone and slice the avocado. Place over salad.
12. Drizzle a small bit of balsamic vinegar over and sprinkle the chia seeds.
13. Layer the chicken over that.