I really like spiced cashew butter. there is the hint of heat but doesn’t over power the senses. The mix of roasted and raw gives a bit of sweet flavour to contrast as well.
Time: 25 minutes with a strong food processor, plus cooling if roasting cashews
150g roasted cashews
150g raw cashews
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- If you only have raw cashews, roast 150g of them. If they are already roasted, skip to step 5.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan-assisted) / 200ºC.
- Lay cashews in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Watch them carefully, they burn quickly.
- Let them cool.
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside.
- Pour the raw and the roasted cashews into a food processor and process until it is starting to catch and turn to butter, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the cinnamon and black pepper and continue processing.
- Start drizzling in the coconut oil.
- Process until the butter is smooth, continuing to scrape down the sides as necessary.
Storage & Shelf life: Store in an airtight container in a cool place. Lasts 3 weeks if well kept.
© Whisked Lemon 2016