As winter draws to an end, I made at least one soup that didn’t come out oddly green.
Time: Prep 25 minutes Cooking 35 minutes.
Serves: 4 as a main, 6-8 as a starter.
350g beetroot, raw
2 sticks celery – approximately 115g
3 small sweet potatoes – approximately 530g
2 medium courgettes – approximately 430g
1 vegetable stock cube / gel
Salt, pepper, garlic and dill to taste
1 litre hot water
160g young leaf spinach
- Boil the kettle to have the hot water ready.
- Peel and chop the beetroot and sweet potato into small cubes and put in a large pot.
- Slice the celery thinly and add to the pot.
- Chop the courgette to small cubes and add to the pot.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic and dill and the vegetable stock.
- Pour the hot water over and stir until the vegetable stock is incorporated.
- Bring the soup to a boil and them reduce the heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach and stir.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, puree the soup to the desired consistency.
Storage: Keeps in the fridge, covered, for approximately 1 week and in the freezer approximately 1 month.