Inspired by: A friend sent me the RedOnline Recipe for Cashew & Vanilla Butter, which is actually from Deliciously Ella’s Cashew and Vanilla Butter. I’ve modified to my own way of doing things though.
300g raw cashew nuts
3 tablespoons (45ml) coconut oil (or another oil such as olive or ground nut oil if coconut needs to be avoided)
2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla powder
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan assisted).
- Lay the cashews on a baking tray that has a lip so they don’t come off. Roast in the oven for 8-12 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They are done when they are turning golden but burn quickly after that.
- Leave them to cool down. They make strange noised while they cool sometimes.
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside.
- Pour the cooled cashews into a good food processor. Starting low and moving to the highest setting, process the nuts until crumbs. I do this in 20 second bursts, stopping to scrape down the sides.
- Add the vanilla powder and continue to process until they are catching and starting to form a sticky mass. I start adding oil here as I like my nut butters with some grainy texture. If you want completely smooth, keep going until the nuts are butter before continuing to the next step.
- Drizzle the coconut oil, tablespoon by tablespoon, through the spout as you continue to process until all incorporated and the butter is as smooth as you want it. Remember to keep stopping to scrape the sides.
Best stored in an airtight jar.